Tuesday 10 December 2013

Teaching Santa in Our Schools

«I don't particularly want to sound like Sarah Palin, but the term "holiday season" irks me.  It smacks of a pernicious movement to homogenize society that hearkens from a time in my youth when America was a melting pot rather than a salad bowl. "We're all really the same because we all celebrate holidays in December," the phrase seems to suggest.

Phooey!

I don't celebrate "the holidays." I celebrate Chanukah. The irony of the typical coincidence of Chanukah and Christmas (and Kwanza, even more profoundly, I think) is that Chanukah is a holiday of separation, of standing out, of not blending in with the SDC (Surrounding Dominant Culture). When Hallmark tells us it's time for the holidays, we should protest.»
http://jewishlinkbc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2029:teaching-santa-in-our-schools-&catid=153:divrei-torah&Itemid=565


Kol Tuv,
RRW

No comments: