Tuesday 16 April 2013

Jewish Tribune: re: Letter regarding Judaism and Democracy

Recently, I wrote an article in the Jewish Tribune regarding the perceived conflict between democracy and Judaism which I posted on the blog at

Subsequently, there was letter to the paper that critiqued this article. This letter can be seen at

I, in turn, responded to this letter in a subsequent paper which can be seen at
(My response, unfortunately, was not formulated for the web but rather can only be seen in a pdf of that week's paper as a whole. The response is on page 20 of the paper and is entitled: "Same issue: value conflict in Israel.")

What I found most interesting in this interchange was the distinction in language and meaning that permeates the Jewish community but to which we are often not sensitive. For example, there is clearly a difference in how the writer and I understand the term Judaism. This is the reason why I wrote my article "Adjective and Non-Adjective Jew" (available on the Nishma website at http://www.nishma.org/articles/introspection/introspection5761-2-adjective_jew.htm). I guess that since I was already aware of this problem, I must also accept some of the responsibility for the disconnect in this dialogue due to the fact that I did use the generic term Judaism within my original article -- which then allowed the writer to go on from there.

Rabbi Ben Hecht

No comments: