Thursday 14 October 2010

Reflections Upon Mom's 100th Birthday

As I write this, it is my Mother's 100th Birthday having been 14-10-1910 - 11 Tishre.

And FWIW She was born on General Eisenhower's 20th birthday...

I cannot hope to encapsulate a 90+ year life in a Blog Post or two

I will just remind readers that my Mother's Prime Passion was Jewish Education, and that her favourite baby was the Hebrew Academy of Greater Hartford.

My Mom was no zealot for frumkeit. Her views on Observance were somewhat moderate to liberal.

On the other hand, she advocated that EVERY Jewish child have a Day School eduction regardless of the religious philosophy of the parents. Any Parent who deprived their child of a solid Day School background was de facto forcing that child towards assimilation. There was NO free choice between a Torah life-style vs. A secular life-style without a solid Jewish background

She didn't condemn people for not being frum enough, but she had low-tolerance for ignorance of Judaism,.

She really didn't follow any particular shul rabbi. The drumbeat she marched to was beaten by Torah uMesorah

And her icons were:

• R Shraga Feivel Mendelowitz
• Dr. "Joe" Kamenetsky
• Rabbi Charles Batt
Aleihem Hashalom

Few realize that Hartford hosted one of the very first Jewish Day Schools in North America [outside NYC] when founded in 1939 - even BEFORE Torah uMesorah

My Mom was NOT one of its founders nor on the very ground floor. Rather several years afterwards, she was inspired. And recruited by the various "pioneers" who went collecting to keep the nascent Yeshiva of Hartford going.

Mom - I owe my Torah education to you - Thank you!

Your son,
Richard

No comments: