Wednesday 10 March 2010

Controversy in Canada over Promotion of Israel

A significant controversy emerged in Canada, during the past week, regarding a video and website that were developed by CIJA, a Jewish organization with connections to Federation and UIA, to promote Israel. This campaign was specifically launched to coincide with a coordinated event held on many college campuses in the country entitled "Israel Apartheid Week" which, as evidenced by the title, is intended to attack Israel. The problem many members of the Jewish community have with the video is that it uses obvious sexual innuendo with a focus on oral sex to get across its message. The question is whether this is an appropriate way to promote Israel.

While I am reluctant to direct readers to the actual material under discussion, I recognize that it would be necessary to view this video and website to gain an appreciation for the controversy and critique. I no longer, though, have the url for this video which was shown on youtube. The url for the website, though, is http://sizedoesntmatter.ca and I think from the name itself you can see the problem. It would seem that the video itself is also no longer available on the website.

In any event, I have commented on this matter in my column in the Jewish Tribune and I invite you to read my thoughts on the matter at http://www.jewishtribune.ca/TribuneV2/index.php/201003092737/Unity-and-standards-do-matter.html.

Rabbi Ben Hecht

No comments: