Wednesday 25 November 2009

Lou Gehrig - Being Grateful when things look bleak

How could a relatively young man -who is staring the "Mal'ach Hammavet" right
in the face -
utter such inspiring thoughts?


"Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth."
...

"So I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for."

Makes me blush to think how little gratitude I have by comparison!



In order to connect this to a d'var torah
Here is the charge I gave a Chatan under the Chuppah:

«When after you've been married awhile and you wake up in the morning and feel about your spouse and your marriage the immortal words of the 'Gadol' Lou Gehrig:
"Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth.". ...

then your marriage is successful.
Consider this your goal, to continue to feel appreciative every day as you are on your wedding day»


For a full text of Lou Gehrig's immortal farewell see:

http://www.lougehrig.com/about/speech.htm

KT
RRW

No comments: