Monday 8 October 2007

The Year of Living Biblically

Originally published 10/8/07, 6:59 PM, Eastern Daylight Time.
Maclean's magazine featured an interview last week. with A. J. Jacobs. The book he wrote, "The Year of Living Biblically," is based upon the author's year of living according to the literal word of the Bible. His interview is available on line here.

I have not seen the book but I found the interview most interesting. I am still not sure how to respond. Obviously, this person's year of following the Bible literally does not really reflect Orthodox Judaism. It most likely was closer, in practice, to the Karaites or the Sadducees. Nonetheless, Mr. Jacobs' comments are still worth noting. I found myself torn in my reactions.

I would be most interested in your comments.

2 comments:

Rabbi Ben Hecht said...

The following letter was sent, by me, to Maclean's Magazine (a Canadian newsmagazine similar to Time or Newsweek), through its website, www.macleans.ca, in response to this Interview:

As an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi, I read the interview with A. J. Jacobs with great interest. I believe, though, that it is important to clarify that Mr. Jacobs literal approach to the Bible should not be perceived as a form of Orthodox Judaism. This type of approach is actually more connected to the Karaites or, in ancient times, the Sadducees. It perhaps should be noted that Orthodox Judaism, while clearly accepting the Divine origin of the Jewish Bible, believes that, within certain specific parameters, the Bible was never intended to be read literally.

Why this is so, is an important theological query that cannot be addressed within the parameters of this letter. Nevertheless, I believe it is important to make the point that if Mr. Jacobs, who describes himself as lacking in his knowledge of Judaism, believes that through his year of living Biblically (literally) he is, somehow, getting in contact with his Jewish roots, according to Orthodox Judaism, he is somewhat mistaken.

Anonymous said...

The interview was fascinating on so many levels, but one thing that stood out for me was that Jacobs decided to keep the Bible literally for a year--and then proceeded to do so, just like that. I have no doubt that he didn't always keep every rule perfectly, but in a way it's inspiring to hear him talking about giving up gossipping and lying entirely, as if it is an utterly manageable thing to do once you merely decide to do it. Personally, I wish I felt it was that simple.

Also, he compared Gandhi and Angelina Jolie. I assume that was a joke?